Slow Cooker French Onion Soup
Let your slow cooker do all the work for you. This is equally as delicious as French onion soup made on top of the stove.
- 4 large onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons (45 ml) butter
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 quarts beef broth, no sodium added
- ¼ cup sherry
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1½ teaspoons kosher or sea salt
- Pepper to taste
- 1 cup (500 ml) croutons plain
- 8 ounces (236 ml) Gruyere cheese, sliced (can substitute with Swiss if needed)
- Place onions, butter, sugar and salt into the bottom of a 6-quart slow cooker. Cover and cook for 7 hours on HIGH or until onions are soft and brown.
- Add beef broth, sherry, thyme sprigs and pepper to taste. Cover. Cook on HIGH for another hour.
- Sprinkle croutons across the surface of the soup. Add sliced Gruyere cheese. Cook for another 15 minutes to melt cheese.
Photo credit: (c) Can Stock Photo / urbanlight