Curtido (Cabbage Relish)
Curtido is a lightly fermented cabbage relish. typical in Salvadoran cuisine and Central American countries.made with cabbage, onions, carrots, and sometimes lime juice. This is great served with Gorditas.
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- ½ cup grated carrots
- ½ cup sliced yellow or red onion
- Kosher or sea salt to taste
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup water
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- Cumin (optional)
- Add the cabbage, carrots and onion to a bowl. Sprinkle with salt, and stir.
- Mix together the vinegar, water, oregano, brown sugar, red pepper flakes, and cumin (if using). Pour over the cabbage mixture and refrigerate until serving time.