As far as I'm concerned, this is the comfort dessert of Southwestern cooking. It is so delicious that you will want to make it often.
- 1 box chocolate fudge cake mix
- Cajeta (Mexican caramel sauce)
- 4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 4 eggs
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Pecans (optional)
- Preheat oven on 350 degrees F. Mix cake batter according to package directions, adding 1 more egg than called for. Mix well.
- Spray a Bundt pan with baking spray or grease with butter. Drizzle cajeta on bottom of pan. Carefully add the cake batter.
- Put cream cheese, eggs, milks and vanilla extract in a blender and blend well. Pour mixture over the batter in the pan.
- Set pan in a water bath. You can use a rectangular Pyrex pan filled almost halfway with water.
- Cover with foil (spray foil to prevent cake from sticking) since the cake will switch places with the flan once baked.
- Bake for 1½ hours or until firm or until a wooden pick inserted comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan for 1 hour at room temperature.
- Flip onto a platter and drizzle with more cajeta.
- Chill for 1 hour or overnight.
- Pecans can be sprinkled on top as garnish, if desired.